Monday, October 15, 2007

Adam Vaughan - The Green Guy


How old are you?
28

What’s your occupation and who do you work for?
I'm a journalist and I edit a new (and secret at this precise moment) site at CNET Networks UK. (Editor's note: I can now reveal that the site in question is www.smartplanet.com)

How long have been doing this?
Just 2 months at CNET, but I've been working as a journalist since I graduated in 2000

What’s the best bit about your job?
I love the subject matter.

What’s the worst thing?
Looking at a computer screen all day long.

What have the last 12 months been like for you?
Radical, scary and exciting.

What were you doing before?
Before this, I launched Newconsumer.com for New Consumer magazine, and launched Stuff.tv for Stuff Magazine. I seem to have been doing lots of web launches for print mags!

What was your very first full-time job?
Editing the student newspaper for Manchester's universities. A great gig that's been a springboard for virtually everyone who's held the role.

Have you got any plans for the next 12 months you’d like to share with us?
Launching a new green site for consumers that will - hopefully - help ethical living take another big step towards the mainstream. Elsewhere, greening up my house and becoming a Dad in spring.

What do you do to relax?
Stroke my cat, swim, run round my local park, cycle, spend time with my wife, draw stuff.

Who do you live with?
My wife and my cat, Boo.

Whereabouts do you live?
Herne Hill in south London - halfway between leafy safe Dulwich and edgy interesting Brixton. Interestingly, there's no 'green' group in Herne Hill, but there is 'Dulwich Going Greener' and 'Transition Town Brixton'.

If you were Prime Minister, what’s the very first thing you do?
Surround myself with genuine, clever and green-minded people.

Have you got any guilty carbon secrets?
Yes. I used to fly a lot internationally for my job as a technology journalist, which I don't do anymore. My heating bill is bigger than I'd like, but I'm in the process of cross-insulating our loft and sealing up all the draughts around our house.

What have you done that you were most proud of?
Hard call. It's a close-run thing between getting elected by Manchester Uni's students to the editor role and running my first marathon. If I had to choose, getting elected - it was the hardest job interview ever, and lasted three weeks!

What are you most concerned about in the world at large?
A slow response to climate change. Social inequality.

Which person in the public eye do you most admire and why?
If he was alive, George Orwell. If I could choose someone not in the public eye, I'd choose my parents, because of their attitude to life and people. Failing that… honestly, I admire a lot of people working in the green and ethical 'movement' but no single person stands out that I admire especially.

What advice would you give to someone wishing to embark on the same sort of work as you?
Know your subject, be relentlessly enthusiastic and thick-skinned, and gain as much experience as you can in your professional and personal life, even if it involves getting up at 6am to write an eco blog.

What's your website address?
http://thegreenguy.typepad.com/thegreenguy
and www.smartplanet.com

No comments: